Monday, February 8, 2010

Slippery Slopes & Feasts

Here...it snowed less than predicted...
but still...my back porch was white...



First thing that morning...
I went out for a long walk.






All the trees out back
were accented
with streaks of white
on their northern sides...





giving the woods a faded appearance.






I wondered to the field...
where the Bamboo
underneath the large Tulip tree
was bowing from the snow...
laying low!








I made my way into the woods and
toward the creek...
it was extremely quiet and still.




On top of this hill
I stood....
looking down a slippery slope
to the creek far below.

Note the hole in the log on the right.



This is the scene
through that hole.






Standing by that log...
getting ready to go down that
slippery slope.






I made it to the creek bed...
where patches of water showed through...




making the only noise there!







Looking around for any movement...







all I found was a print
from an earlier passerby.





I followed those prints...
possibly a fox...
up and over this fallen tree...






I came upon
the faintest spot of blood...



(enlarges)



and then...
discovered a disturbance
in the snow...maybe the fox
pulled something from the ground.
But, I don't really know.




But, I did know....I was going home.
Sooo...back up the slippery slope.





At the top of the hill...you can see
there is another hill in front of me.
It's the hill the house sits on.
I can go down this side and up that side...





or I can turn left and
head for the field...
(enlarge to see faint outline of house)
~
and end up...back where I started...



but on the opposite side...
of the Bamboo trees.





These snowballs are attached...
it seems they were made...




by the wind...
blowing the Bamboo's branches...
back and forth...
first to it's left...




and then to it's right.



At least...
that's what I think I know...
~
and I go home...
...in time to see
three Cardinals and a Towhee
feasting at the sunflower seeds...




and feasting
Sparrows, Goldfinches...
a Junco, and Wren...




plus...
a lone European Starling
patiently waiting his feast.





I then went in...
to make a feast myself...
of a spicy shrimp stir fry
with penne and red peppers...



and...
cornbread baked in an old iron skillet...





I was trying to duplicate
a restaurant meal...
once had by
my granddaughter Amanda!


Did I succeed?.....I don't know!

But...
I do know...
the sunrise this morning
looked promising !!!





52 comments:

Viki said...

Those are great pictures and a beautiful place to walk. I think I would have freaked out seeing that blood on the snow LOL.

Grizz………… said...

Great post and photos. I especially like the view through the log…a thoughtful, creative, fun shot. I expect you were tracking a fox—looks like fox tracks to me, not rounded enough plus I can see a claw mark, so not a cat, and they look smaller than a coyote. It probably caught a mouse or vole, especially since you didn't find feathers.

Your shrimp dish looks delicious.

I really enjoyed your snowy morning post. And hey, there's more on the way!

Rae said...

AMAZING! I love taking virtual walks with you. Such wonderful scenery. You have such talent and an eye for capturing the ordinary and making it spectacular. Your photos should be published.

peggy said...

Beautiful pictures, I felt like I was there.

maggie said...

Wanda, loved it. Thanks for taking me for a walk with you.

Bernie said...

Beautiful post my friend, do you ever get lost as you walk through the woods.....so loved your pictures.

Your stir fry really looks good, I eat a lot of stir frys as well, I usually serve it over rice. Love them.

We have a lot more snow than you have my friend, more coming on Friday...eeks!

Have a great week, big hugs to Alivia.......:-) Hugs

Delwyn said...

Good morning Wanda

I so enjoy walking through the woods with you from the comfort of my air conditioning...I love to see the trees cloaked in their winter lacy negligees, looking so peaceful and sleepy...but life continues, the hunted are hunted, the hunter hunts...and you continue to make delicious meals.

When I get an oven...not arrived yet...I am going to make your cornbread...
I had a new Gaggenau induction cook top which I was managing with quite well without an oven until it blew up!
The repair man waited for a new high tech part- like a motherboard in the computer, and when it was installed only half the elements worked. Now we are waiting on a new part from Germany...Moral of the story...stick to inexpensive easily available appliances.
The induction device is not easy to use, quite fiddly and not as responsive as gas.

Happy days

Wanda..... said...

Thank You...
*Viki, if it had been more, I would have too.

*Scribe, glad you don'r think it was a coyote!

*Rae, thank you so much!

*Peggy, thanks for liking them!

*Maggie, Thank you for coming back!

*Bernie, once I got disoriented, didn't know which ravine I was in, but not lost. Your snow is measured in feet, not inches!

*Delwyn, thank you as you bask in your warm sun by the ocean! We almost bought an induction stove just before Thanksgiving, but went with a smooth top convection oven type.

Maria said...

Wnada ~ such a wintry scene ~ how many adventures from the sky to the footprints in the snow...
The cornbread looks like the perfect comfort food ... warm on a cold day~
The sunrise was the perfect greeting ♥
Have a wonderful week ~ Maria

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Wanda: A feast for the eyes as well as for the hungry hiker! I don't know which I like more - your tours of the countryside or the appreciation for it all that is evident in the care with which you reconstruct it for us.

Loved that log shot. Did you lay down to get it?

Thank you.

Diana said...

Well your lunch looked delicious! And I knew the photos of your winter would be beautiful Wanda and they were! When I played your video of the creek, Ruby lifted her head to listen too! She was sound asleep!
Love Di

Wanda..... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wanda..... said...

Thank you...
*Maria, hope your week is wonderful too!

*Bonnie, I didn't have to lay down, but I did do a little sliding down.

*Diana, the stir fry was pretty good. Forgive me Ruby! :)

Gail said...

HI WANDA-

I love your nature-land in Winter. Walking with you in the snow was lovely - peaceful and serene. And that meal you prepared? Looked SO delicious!!! mmmmmmm

I so enjoy your world Wanda-

Love to you
Gail
peace......

Penny said...

thanks again for a walk in the snow, our beach walks are great but I wont offer to take you for one here on the farm for a couple of months!

Hildred said...

Wanda, I so enjoyed your pictures - the woods are beautiful in the snow, and you have a great talent for discovering interesting things to photograph. A lovely walk. Thank you.

I have shared your breakfast muffins with the family, and everyone is enthusiastic and finds them delicious.

Jerelene said...

Beautiful pictures...loved the one looking through the log..and loved the pics of the birdies eating. I LOVE the pic of the deer with snow on it and the little snowy squirrel...SO sweet !!
Hugs...Jerelene

Loree said...

What beautiful pictures. I especially liked the one through the log. Your meal looks really yummy.

Jientje said...

I don't know how you manage to climb up and down slippery slopes, camera in hand and taking pictures along the way without tripping or falling? Thanks for sharing this lovely walk again ( complete with the sound of trickling water) I enjoyed it, it felt as if I was there with you! That meal you prepared looks delicious!

Wanda..... said...

Thank you...
*Gail, I'm always glad to see you here!

*Penny, I know how hot and humid it is there at the moment.

*Hildred, I'm thankful you like the photos and the muffins!

*Jereleen, like you, we are getting more snow.

*Loree, I know you are warmer there in Malta!

*Jientje, I have done some sliding with the camera. Coming from such a Great Cook as You, thanks for the compliment!

Blessings each day said...

I get so lost in your beautiful pictures that I have to go back to remember my thoughts from the beginning. Loved that view from the hollowed log...such a great and different look. That made me wish you had someone taking a photgraph of you taking these great photos because there are times when it seems you almost have to be a contortionist to ge those shots!
Do you have really great traction on your boots to not slip and slide???...you had me worried as you went so close to the creek as you could just slide right into it. Snow is so beautiful if only to walk through or play in, but not so much fun to drive in and shovel which I did many many times in Chicago and Alaska.

blessings and happy hugs,

marcy

Wanda..... said...

Hi Marcy...Well I did slide some and I did walk up the frozen creek bed, mostly it's the snow covered holes or logs that might make me fall. I caary a phone, just in case!

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

The peek through the hole is my favorite. I think I found a kindred spirit with all your bird feeding ;-) I find it hard to drag myself away from the window sometimes. Getting more snow today and Wed!

Wanda..... said...

Janet...I love feeding and watching the bird, It's snowing here too, need to go fill the feeders quick! :)

Anonymous said...

These are really lovely photos.

I like the music too. Usually I don't but this one is neat.

Abe Lincoln Blogs

Anne said...

Hi Wanda,
I enjoyed seeing your winter wonderland. It always seems like it is so much fun to explore your world each and everyday. Always a new adventure.
Your meal looked yummy and I would say it did look just like the meal that Alivia had.
Take care and stay warm.

Claudia said...

Can I tell you how much I love those birds feasting... and the strling waiting. Patiently. And then your wonderful feasting - well-earned after a snowy walk.

Wanda..... said...

Thank you...
*Abe, I'm glad you visited.

*Anne, at least you are warm in Florida!

*Claudia, I love the Italian Feasts you often feature!

Arkansas Patti said...

Gosh I love to come here. There is so much strife in our world today that it is pure pleasure to come here and see just what is still so right in our world. Your eye for peace and beauty should be bottled. Thanks for my dose.

Wanda..... said...

Patti, you are welcome to a dose anytime...I love your stories and comments!

Barb said...

I wish that burbling creek was just outside my window when I go to sleep at night - wonderful tinkling music. The view from the hollowed log is wonderful, Wanda - it's exactly what I would have photographed, too. Yes, you have a fox roaming the property. I hope you get to see it one of these days. I was not not disappointed by the end of your post - there was the curving lane with the promise of a new day ahead - just lovely, Wanda. I like strolling with you. PS I can just about taste the corn bread!

Deborah said...

What a beautifully crafted post! A lot of work went into that, and to our benefit. I enjoyed this very much, Wanda.

Together We Save said...

Thse pictures are beautiful. The deer with the snow in his head is so cute and the cardinals are striking against the white snow.

Cindy said...

My favorite is the one with the two benches. Great photos as always!

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit and I so, SO enjoyed my walk with you through your woods. Love your music too. What a wonderful post! You have a gift of story telling. I'll be back for sure...debbie

Unknown said...

OH YUM! I love stir fry! Do you bake your corn bread in the oven in the skillet? Beautiful walk today! But I am freezing! Hope you had the fireplace going while you were gone! then curled up with a good book after you had your meal! Phew, I am exhausted, I better go lie down! LOL, lots of smiles across the miles to you my friend!..linda

Elaine said...

Lovely walk through the woods. I liked the view through the log and the snowballs by the bamboo. I was a little concerned about that slippery slope. I get stuck and fall just walking across my flat yard in the snow. Our snow is compressed down to less than a foot, and it looks like yours was less than that, but still....

Dee said...

Wanda, Wanda, Wanda, I loved todays walk with you. With the snow quietly and slowly falling outside my window it was as if I was actually there with you enjoying the feel of cold air on my face, the deep quiet of a the woods. I love the deep quiet of being in the woods. The snowballs made me smile as did the peek through the log. Your music also added to the walk. Very soothing.The birds and the food ended the post with making me so happy I stopped by.

Wanda..... said...

Thank you...
*Barb, We've not seen foxes up by the house lately, but have several times.

*Deborah, glad you enjoyed it.

*Cindy, I just left your blog!

*Debbie, thank you for visiting and such a nice comment!

*Linda, yes I do, the recipe is on the sidebar. I bundled up for the walk extremely well.

*Elaine, we missed the BIG snowfall, but it did snow more today and more is coming tomorrow!

*Dee, it is extremely quiet there sometimes. Happy you came!

Anonymous said...

I know that stiil silence from a snowfall so well, but it always surprises a little bit too. I especially like the shot through the hole in the log.

The Retired One said...

Loved all of these shots AND the babbling brook video...reminds me so much of here where I live, too.....
isn't nature the most gorgeous art???

And those Cardinals?? Be still my heart!

Bethany said...

You are amazing. I loved your "at least that's what I think I know"
The peek through the hole in the log thrilled me. So magical the way you did that. You should write a picture book. Do you know that one with the snowman and the deer in the forest? Your posts remind me of that. So magical.
Love what you said about the woods having a faded appearance.
You are a poet.
Oh and that meal!!!!!

Thanks for warming me today Wanda. You are one special soul.
Love the way you SEE and experience and share the world.

Lisa Smith said...

God's beauty is breath-taking! As I see the freshly fallen snow I am reminded that "though my sins are as scarlet they will be made white as snow." Isaiah 1:18

i so treasure each prayer! lisa xoxo

Unknown said...

Great photos! Looking at your snow pictures & started wondering where you were from. Ohio, me too, i am up near Lake Erie. Aren't we lucky to live in such a beautiful state!

alaine@éclectique said...

Oh, I loved that walk, Wanda and the spicy shrimp stir fry looks delish! The enlargement of the glimpse of your house has just opened, took ages but glad I saw it before moving on!

Eileen said...

Wanda, this is so pretty. I don't much like Winter, but you make it look beautiful and bearable.
I loved the shot through the hollow log, really pretty. They are all pretty, and I especially liked the ones with the bamboo too.

Loved your meal! I've been eating lots of pasta lately and lots of sweet potatoes! Your pasta dish sounds wonderful, maybe I'll try it this weekend.

Have a good one!
Love to you,
Eileen

Wanda..... said...

Thank you...
*Lizzie, it ia often quiet in the woods.

*Joan, there are 20 Cardinals here at once but at different feeders, never all together.

*Bethany, Your words are very appreciated, you're so kind.

*Lisa, you are welcome.

*Kim, I need to go visit you!

*Alaine, thanks for taking the walk.

*Eilene, I love winter myself... the bamboo manages to right itself each year!

June said...

I love the contrast of fresh snow on the dark trees and the ever-flowing creek. Your bamboo has a lesson to teach, I think.

If we're choosing favorite pictures, mine is the house sitting atop the snowcapped fencepost.

Kelly said...

...beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.....and so peaceful (and yummy too!). I walked the Little Miami after the last snow....it was gorgeous. I couldn't resist going down a slippery slope too! Be careful....

Are you ready for the addition 6-8 inches on the way tonight/tomorrow? :-)

Cheryl said...

I so enjoyed my "walk" with you today. Isn't it the best time of the day to go for a peaceful walk. After the gentle snow falls all seems so still and calm. I love to walk here, there and everywhere, making fresh tracks in the snow.

Lisa said...

I just loved this post. You are very observant about the blood. I imagine food is hard to find for any animal with the snow being so deep. I love to hear that you are making that connection with nature even when it's cold out.

Tranquility Speaks said...

The food that you cook looks way too appealing for me to resist! I don't know when, I don't know how, but if I ever come to the area where you live, I will stop by to see the driveway and will come in to taste one of your meals if you don't mind! They look way too delicious :D