Wednesday, March 24, 2010

.....Spotted Things

These little White Trout Lilies....



are blooming in the woods.
They have spotted leaves...
and...are...
the first wild flowers to appear here...
.


Just a few are showing themselves.
I almost overlooked them.







I had just photographed this tree's
odd roots and knothole,
when I spotted them.





Spring...
hasn't brought much change to the woods...
just yet!

I did find this colorful log....






and this
scarlet cup fungus...
Sarcoscypha Coccinea.
I know it's name...
because I looked it up!





Also found in the woods
fairly often...
is Grandson Andrew!
Note...
the perfectly round rock in his hand.






He had to toss and catch it...






"many" times before I was able
to catch it with my camera.






It was hard to spot...
but finally...
success!





Closer to home...
there are spots of change...
here and there.

The Naked Ladies are growing tall...
but they need to die back...
before they bloom.

In the distance...
the round beds of Daylilies
are forming.






Behind the swing...
in the greening field...
is the last wet spot to dry...
in the spring.

It reflects clouds on sunny days.






On this sunny day in the clouds...
Andrew and I saw seven
Turkey Vultures...
circling above!
Can you spot them?

~enlarges~
Later in the week...
I spotted 33 fly over...
going to visit a fellow blogger!


The red Cardinal will be easier to spot...


~enlarge to see~

but...
did you notice the small heart shape...
on the tree above?

~
Now...
Can you spot the Bluebird below?


~enlarges~


It is there!





While Herhusband and I...
were picking up small twigs and branches...
~
this tiny Red Velvet Mite
was fairly easy to spot on
the edge of the fence board.






It's bright red stood out well...
as it made it's way across...






...to the other edge.
They emerge after an early
spring rain and live on
decomposing leaves.






This bright red...
will be easy to spot too!






Grandson Nathan came down
to show us his first car!
He graduates soon!






To make up for the
lack of much color outside...
colorful meals ...
were on the agenda...
or at least...I tried.


Spaghetti & Avocadoes



Chicken & Roasted Pepper Stuffed Celery



Cabbage, Carrots & Veg. Sausage



Shrimp, Artichokes,Peppers & Spinach Pasta


Then ...
on another day...
while Herhusband and I...
were raking up a few leaves...
this spot of pink color...
was all over the place!
~
After surprising herself...
at the narrow path...




...she concentrated more fully...






to the job at hand!






I think Alivia's visit and
drive through the garden...






surprised the Daffodils...
into blooming!





They are a cheerful flower....
to look forward to in the Spring.






Most of these were transplanted
a few years ago...
from an old farmhouse garden
that once stood...
in another area of the property.





At least...they bloomed in time...






to be company for the...
Crocus!







This is the company I spotted...
in the garden...
very late one evening!


I believe...
they were trying to scare me away!






But...You see who ran!

They will come back...hope you do too!

92 comments:

The Retired One said...

All of your photos were wonderful...and so is the video!
Thanks for sharing these.

Covnitkepr1 said...

You do have an eye for seeing the beauty in God's creation. Thanks for sharing.
It would appear you have the majic touch when it comes to cooking as well. Your new follower.

Diana said...

Oh Wanda, Andrew made me so nervous throwing the rock in the air, really! I guess it's the mom in me. I also felt very proud for Nathan and his new car! When I saw Alivia driving I thought of Kate. I can picture Alivia behind the real wheel with that determined look on her face!
I love seeing those white tails go up! I loved our walk today Wanda and the food as usual looked delicious!
Love Di ♥

Elaine said...

What a beautiful taste of spring! We are getting some snow melt, but it's not spring yet here.

Alivia is so cute driving her bright pink car! I like the contrast with Nathan's new car and Alivia's sportier vehicle.

Jackie said...

The white trout lilies are so pretty! I don't see those here.
I couldn't wait to find the heart in your blog!! You are such a clever girl...and I love being here. I couldn't find the bluebird...but I'm not giving up.
Love to you, Wanda.
(love the reflection photo....!!)

Barb said...

Dear Wanda,

I am living vicariously through the color in your yard and garden (and on your plate!). Those cup fungus, the red mite, and the twisty lane photos were my favorite (I finally did see the bluebird after I was finished admiring the lane and the tree nymph!) Also, that delicate trout lily is exquisite. I think my Amanda would love to be a passenger in Alivia's sporty ride! Enjoy spring for me, Wanda - we got a foot of snow in Denver last evening. I'm in the mountains now - my swing is still covered.

Bernie said...

So happy for Nathan, love his new vehicle, and of course Miss Alivia's pink car....what a nice suprise visit that would of been and Andrew throwing rocks, I spotted everything but you know me the kids are a real favorite.

You are so far ahead of us weather wise.....we had more snow today and it was cold. You must love being outside again, I know how much you love it.

Your meals looks delicious Wanda, especially the shrimp.

I am so happy you and herhusband are enjoying the Spring and I am sure Grizz enjoyed you waving the turkey vultures on to his place.

Big hugs to Alivia.....:-) Hugs

Oh yes, Garnet wanted me to tell you she is unable to open her blog, having some kind of trouble she will tell you about when she can, she wanted you to know she was ok, xo

Eileen said...

It was one of those 'tug-at-your-heart' moments for me when I saw your grandson Nathan's new car, and then Alivia in her little play car, thinking that it probably doesn't feel all that long ago to you that Nathan was just playing with cars. It amazes me how fast the time flies, and even though it feels oh-so-right, I still tell myself all the time "Enjoy this moment, enjoy this time, savor it, treasure it, remember it".

'Loved all your pictures of nature, as usual, and the food photos too (I just made a chicken and avocado dish this week, an easy recipe from Rachel Ray!), all your meals look wonderful! And I love all the hearts you always find!

And thanks for the video, I can't get over how skittish they are, and yet so curious!

Another great post!
Love to you,
Eileen

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, Wanda...there is so much to LOVE in this post...I don't even know where to begin...the flowers are glorious, the reflection exquisite, your grandchildren delightful...and the food delicious...and as always, delivered with your beautiful narrative and heart...You are truly a treasure!!! And you have brightened my evening!! Love you! Janine XO

Delwyn said...

Hi Wanda

How dare that deer be so arrogant as to stamp his foot at you Wanda! You are the guardian of your lot...and he the visitor...well maybe he doesn't see it that way...

AS I read your post I realised how exciting it must be for you as you find the first signs of spring, waiting for the flowers to emerge and the green to reappear.
Being blessed with year round floral growth I do notice the seasonal variation and different growth patterns of plants but the changes of course are much more subtle than these major shifts you experience.

The rains have brought great new life into the forest here and given the world a green makeover...so I can empathise with your appreciation of the beauty appearing day by day.

Now your delicious home cooked meals have spiked my appetite - it is time for me to go home from the office and make a very late lunch at 2.30pm...I blame that large coffee and muffin for stretching the day out...


Happy days

stregata said...

Love those trout lilies - it has been so long since I have seen those. They aren't native to Europe.
Your photos are stunning, as always!!

Loree said...

What wonderful signs of spring. The red fungus and red mite are just so colourful and the daffodils are heavenly.

Anonymous said...

I smile when I see that you have left another post, and can't wait to see what wonderful tale you will spin for us. I enjoyed seeing your spring. From the rock, the beautiful white trout lilies, the reflection, to your sweet grandkids...really enjoyed myself as usual...debbie

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Wanda...love the little video! Very brave of that little guy ;-) Once again a lovely walk around your home...thanks!

Anne said...

Hi Wanda,
So glad to see signs of spring! I always love coming here and seeing your world from the beauty of your property, your beautiful grandchildren, and your delicious food. It always puts a smile on my face. Thank you. I am so glad I found you in blogland.

Gail said...

HI WANDA-

Oh how I love walking about your nature-land and seeing all you see, feeling what you feel and always the reward of a wonderful meal at the end of our journey. You capture all that is blessed, wondrous and loving in life.

Love to you always
Gail
peace.....

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Wanda, This post demonstrates that when you take the time to look all sorts of gorgeous colorful things appear. Loved the red cup fungus and that red mite!!

Arkansas Patti said...

You have the most amazing eye. You see things most of us would pass by.
Your food presentation is too good for this gal on a limited amount of calories to see.
Glad you won the foot stomping contest.
They will be back and so will I. Thank you.

Unknown said...

What a fun visit today. Lots and lots of color. Making sure to remind you that this was their home before you came...hehehe, I loved how he (the deer) let you know that they were here before you...how dare you! lol. Wonderful post and visit with family and woods today, thank you! warm smiles across the miles!

Jientje said...

I loved all your photos, the deer, the daffodils, and the colorful meals! Now I'm hungry!

Regina said...

Delightful and awesome Wanda.
Love all the photos!
Have wonderful weekend and happy spring.

xo

Dee said...

Hi, As always I enjoyed my walk and saw a few things I have never seen before. Happy to say I spotted the Turkey Vultures after I enlarged the photo. At first I thought they were specks on my screen. It took me awhie to find the blue bird. :) The grands look spiffy with their wheels. I will be back to see Spring unfold in your woods.

Susan said...

Gosh, our trout lilies aren't even out of the ground yet! They're all over our backyard.

That cabbage looks really good, too. I don't usually brown mine, just stew until it's tender. We had some the other evening with pinto beans and corbread. What kind of veggie sausage do you buy? I would like to find some that I actually want to eat. :)

Rae said...

Fantastic. I would love to walk along with you and see all the things you do. Lovely photos.

Deborah said...

Daffodil picture #4 should be on an Easter card!!
Wanda, it must take you at least 1/2 a day to cover a mile! So many photographs and details noticed - so much appreciation of the natural world. Absolutely lovely.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

How beautiful the spring arrives at your house. The tiny white flowers - what a find. And the bluebird. All my life I've wanted to see a bluebird. I've always said it was my favorite bird - I love blue - yet have never seen one for real. Most warm visit.

alaine@éclectique said...

Very beautiful, with everything coming to life. I loved the video, the deer stomping, challenging.

I must work out how to work our video.

Joey said...

I feel so peaceful after spending time with you. I must admit that I'm tired now, and the music has soothed my spirit.

Goodnite, Wanda... Thank you.

June said...

Oh those bright daffodils! Sunshine on a stem!
Alivia's concentration makes me smile. She's so determined.
The shimp and artichoke dish looks wonderful, and I believe I have those ingredients in the pantry! Thank you for inspiration.

All the rest if beautiful too...the fungus! Amazing nature.

June said...

I meant to comment on the deer too.
I love to see their intimidating stamp! stamp!
And that *huff* as they turn to run.
Some people have never heard that sound, can you imagine?
As some have never heard the whistle alarm of a woodchuck...loud enough to split an eardrum.

Marie said...

Your photography is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. You made me so hungry with the pictures of the food. I would love the recipes!

Margie said...

A lovely post!
It's a very cold day here and spring has graced us yet with her beautiful presence.
But after seeing all your wonderful pictures of the daffodils and the crocus, I feel the beauty of lovely spring, it's my favorire season.

Wanda, your granddaughter is just precious!
Loved the pictures of her in her little car, so cute!

Loved all the wonderful pics.
Thanks for sharing them.
You are a very good photographer.

Margie :)

alexis nicole said...

What a lovely blog you have!!!

Sheri said...

Beautiful photos and great blog.

Thanks for visiting my blog today and listening to "Put Your Shoes on Lucy". If my blog looked like yours, maybe I keep blogging.

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Those lilies are eye-candy! Thanks for posting them.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous Wanda! I do believe your blog posts just get better and better! I spotted your grandson Andrew's catching arm is aligned with the branches in the background so it looks like his arm is elongated. Those wild lilies are gorgeous, and the bluebird.

Lois Evensen said...

Hello! It seems we are nearly neighbors and have found each other via another blog. Your images are GORGEOUS! Thank you so very much for sharing. Lois in Cincinnati

Sniffles and Smiles said...

I'm back for a second helping!!! And to send you my love!!! Janine XO

Cheryl said...

What beauty you shared. I immediately spied the heart on the tree. The bluebird was a treat as well. Your grandchildren are very cute and how much you must enjoy their company. Thanks for giving me hope that spring will come!

Debra said...

Lovely post-it was so nice to see the flowers too. Ours are just starting to come up.
Those meals look like magazine photos!
~Debra

Maria said...

Hi Wanda! I am so glad I didn't miss this fabulous post. I love "my nature walks" with you... You really could be a nature guide, both adults and children would love them!

Blogging your weekly nature adventures encourages joy and a sense of serenity and oneness with nature and for me, with its Creator ♥
Thank you for taking the time to lead us there~
Maria
ps. I'm typing this to the beautiful piano music you have in your playlist ♫

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Happy Birthday, Wanda!

Denise said...

Have a wonderful birthday.

Silver said...

Came from Bernie's. Happy Birthday and wishing you many happy returns of the day!!

~Silver

Anonymous said...

You have some absolutely fabulous pictures there, it's hard to pick out a favourite...

and a little birdie called Bernie tells me that it is your very Happy Birthday today :0) I hope you are having a fab day.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I understand from a "little bird" that today is your birthday. Wising you well and a wonderful day, for you and my DH share the same birthday!!! ENJOY!!! Cathy

Kelly said...

...you have a unique way of threading all the important parts of your life together with beauty and grace...softness and love. I always enjoy your posts (and your menu selections are to die for!!!).

p.s. I have the same set of black dishes you showed in your previous post...

Blessings each day said...

Well I am here to wish you a very happy birthday but I don't see a birthday post...hmmm...maybe that IS a birthday gift...it is YOUR day and you don't need to post!

Throroughly loved every moment of this post, especially those clouds reflected in that puddle...you have SO much talent and we are so blessed that you share it so generously...THANK YOU!!!

May the Good Lord bless you with many wonderful moments of happiness on your special day!

blessings and loving hugs to you,

marcy

glnroz said...

Happy Birthday,,,(Ms Bernie Hint..:)..)You do have a beartiful blogsite. I will visit again, it you will allow... thankxm, glenn

becky said...

Wanda,
just came over on recommendation from Barb @ "Live & learn." What a lovely blog... & love your photos! Especially when you capture the hearts in nature! I'' be stopping back by! & Happy Birthday!

Sunny said...

Wanda, your posts are always so uplifting; the combination of pictures, narrative and music is simply lovely. The reflection in the puddle is exceptional.
Sunny :)

Andrea said...

Beautiful post! Happy Birthday! May GOD speak to your heart like never before.

I just came over from Di's blog and have joined to follow. What a beautiful place you have here. How did I miss it?

Blessings, andrea

Merisi said...

Happy Birthday to you! :-)

I came over from Janine's blog and enjoyed looking through your spring kaleidoscope. Andrew's stone throwing scene would have made me extremely nervous, though. ;-)

Ann said...

Wanda, a brilliant post as usual. It had everything. Really loved seeing the deer video, a real treat. It is impossible to stay away, so I will indeed be back.

Eileen said...

Just popping into your place to wish you a proper HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And to thank you for the gift of your lovely blog!
You have enriched my life so much!

I hope you have a wonderful day surrounded by family and love, in your wonderful woods, enjoying all those special moments that make life grand!

Love to you,
Eileen

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Hey Wanda: Janine sent me over! I'm so glad to know it is your birthday and to wish you the happiest day ever!

We've just been celebrating birthdays here too as my grandaughter's b.d. was the 28th and my daughter's yesterday the
29th.

All you wonderful, intelligent, kind, dynamic Aries!

Bernie said...

Happy Birthday sweetie, I hope you have a wonderful day with all those you love close by sharing it with you.
Know that your blogging friends are with you in spirit today.
Big Hugs to Alivia....:-) Hugs

alexis nicole said...

Wanda,
I saw on Barb's post that it is your Birthday! I was born in March too, good month! ;)
I hope that you have a WONDERFUL Birthday!
I am so glad that I came across your beautiful blog.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Anonymous said...

Sniffles and smiles asked us to come over and wish you a happy birthday. She said we would love your posts, your pictures and words and she was right. Beautiful flowers to delight us all who are waiting for our own Spring to arrive, and lovely words.

Happy Birthday to you, I am so glad I came. I'll be back.

Margie said...

Hi Wanda
Thoughtful Bernie says it your birthday, today.
Happy birthday to you!

Wishing you
a song in heart
a smile on your lips
and nothing but
JOY
at your finger tips!

Have a most wonderful day, Wanda!

Margie :)

CiCi said...

You are cherished by so many in blogland. I have seen a post today wishing you happy birthday in a few blogs. So I join the many who wish you a very happy birthday. Your blog is outstanding.

Pat - Arkansas said...

I'm here from Sniffles and Smiles, and very glad I came! First -- Happy Birthday. I hope your day is lovely and all for which you could wish!

You have a wonderful and beautiful blog; I'll be back!

Brenda said...

Hi dear Wanda,
I have not been on blogger very often lately but I just checked in to see what you are up to. Once again I smiled as I saw your latest moments. Yay for spring. Oh, my, I think today is your birthday! Hope your day is happy, happy, happy. You bring much joy to others.

Skunkfeathers said...

Just another of Janine's faithful readers, here to wish you a Happy Birthday!

Anne said...

Hi Wanda,
Happy Birthday! Bernie emailed me that it was your birthday.
So, Happy Birthday! I sent you a special e-mail. I hope you get it.
Hope your day brought lots of joy and happiness. You deserve it.
Enjoy!

Maria said...

Happy Happy Birthday, dear Wanda!

I hope your day is lovely and beautiful ~
You have given so many of us loveliness and beauty through your thoughtfully written posts.
It's truly amazing how one person can bring cheer to so many by sharing their talent and blessings ~

Thank you for all of your visits to us as well...
I always look forward to your sweet comments ♥
Showers of Blessings and Joy ~ Always

~Maria

Delwyn said...

Hi Wanda

I have just picked up in a comment that it was your birthday yesterday. I hope you had a lovely day and I wish you many many happy days ahead for the next year.

Delwyn

Hildred said...

Another lovely post Wanda, - full of love and beautiful pictures, scrumptious eats and your marvelous family.

Hope that your Birthday was happy and that your 66th year will be full of the joy of living.

Thank you so much for visiting.

Anonymous said...

So....HAPPY BIRTHDAY...I came over from maria's to say hi and say, hope you had a great day. I too am a nature girl, have been since I could walk, then sit up in a tree most of the day and now out for walks everyday with my golden and rides on my horse...come say hi sometime :D

Cheryl said...

Stopping by to wish you a very Happy Birthday!

Jackie said...

Happy birthday my friend....
Love,
Jackie

Barb said...

Dear Wanda,
A very Happy Birthday is coming to you from CO! I am in Denver again - I had a Girl's Day with Amanda today. It was 80 degrees here - can you believe we had snow last week? I hope your special birthday and the coming year are filled with Happiness.

The Retired One said...

Happy Happy birthday!!!

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Happy Birthday Wanda! As always, love stopping by here to "catch up" with you! You and your grandson seeing turkey vultures in the clouds reminds me of this winter when my granddaughter and I were driving along. Suddenly from the back seat she said with some urgency "I see a deer!" I've been totally paranoid of hitting a deer with the car because we have so many around here that I started to slam on the brakes before I realized she was pointing to the clouds. And I'm the one who taught her to see the shapes there!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, dear Wanda...Love you so much!!! Janine XO

Anonymous said...

A beautiful blog. I came over from Bernie's place. Happy belated birthday dear lady. She thinks a lot of you. Drop by some time. I will be back as I see there a lots more to look at. Blessings
QMM

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Dear Wanda, just found your lovely blog through sweet Maria ~ Calm Energy~. I really love the picture of you, it shows so much beauty outside and inside (inner beauty).
These pictures of the Spring flowers are adorable. Cannot wait to watch them bloom in my own garden.

Have a happy happy belated Birthday.

Sending best Dutch wishes your way!
Saskia

Tranquility Speaks said...

Happy Birthday Wanda! Hope you had a grand day full of happiness and all things good :)

susanvg said...

Just came from Barb's blog Live and Learn. Happy Birthday - you provided a beautiful start to my day.

Ebie said...

Hi Wanda, coming from Barb's blog to wish you a very happy birthday!I have enjoyed wandering the woods and your backyard through your photos!

Welcome Spring!

renewd42 said...

I love your photographs! I'm soo excited for the warmth to take spring pics! I too, love capturing Gods beauty! blessings, come by my blog, love to have you along! Lisa

Check out my blog here!

KB said...

Wanda,

Thanks for visiting my blog - it made me aware of your gorgeous blog! I think that you and I both notice all those details of nature that nourish the soul.

Although I live a LONG way from you, I saw my first Mountain Bluebirds yesterday - a mating pair who will surely fly back down to the plains when our next spring snow storm hits. But, it was wonderful to see them!

Lois Evensen said...

Hello again,

Since you posted this beautiful group of photos and accompanying story I have sent other family and friends over here to your blog to see it and have returned several times to see the images again myself.

I have a question that may be answered already, but I haven't found it yet: what type of camera are you using?

Thanks, again, for such a lovely blog.

Lois in Cincinnati

LadyFi said...

What a bouquet of marvellous photos. Looks like a great spring is approaching...

Cindy said...

Hi I am just new to your blog,, I came by to wish you happy birthday from Gails blog. I am so excited I came to visit. I love your blog and all the hearts and warmth and sunshine here. I hope you have a very great day.

Tammie Lee said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I found about from you on Barb's blog Live and Learn, she made a lovely birthday post for you.
Lovely to see the world through your eyes, you have found so much spring magic in this post! Thank you.

Jenny said...

What a lovely post, as always. I always enjoy my walk through the woods and your beautiful Grand AND

I hear it is was your Birthday!

Hope your day was magical. I suspect it was for that is how you see the world!

Hugs and happiness,
Jenny Matlock

Paulie said...

I understand it was your birthday recently. A little bird (Barb) told me! Birthday blessings!

Many happy returns to the day of thy birth.
May sunshine and gladness be given.
May God in His mercy prepare you on earth
For a beautiful birthday in heaven!

I loved all the photos in your blog today but especially. . .
the puddle reflection, the crocus and the white trout lily AND all that scrumptious food!

Happy Easter!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Hello, dear Wanda!! Wanted to especially wish you a beautiful and wonderful Easter weekend! Love you much! Janine XO

Rebecca said...

Loved the hints of color with promise of more to come.

Those grandkids are sporting a lot of new wheels! Time flies...almost as quickly as those deer turned to scamper back to the woods...

Rebecca said...

Loved the hints of color with promise of more to come.

Those grandkids are sporting a lot of new wheels! Time flies...almost as quickly as those deer turned to scamper back to the woods...

quieten said...

Wanda,
Tried leaving you a note earlier but got bounced out for some reason :-(
Your photos are beautiful. I felt as if I was with you on your walk and the food looks fabulous. What a wonderful way to share great food without gaining an ounce!!!
Have a wonderful Easter!!
Huggz,
Quieten